The creative use of decorative tiles has expanded its reach from bathroom remodels and kitchen renovations to have impact throughout the house. The latest tile design ideas offer creative decorating solutions to any room in your Madison WI home. Remodeling trends use tile as feature elements in bathrooms and kitchens and today’s designers are experimenting with innovative ways to blend tiles of many colors, shapes and patterns throughout the house. You may find custom tile installations in unexpected places – adding a splash of color, whimsy or elegance.
Creative uses of unique and colorful tiles often reflect individual lifestyle choices – country scenes, sports team colors and favorite patterns.
Prime Locations for Decorative Tiles
The kitchen backsplash, walk-in showers and bathroom floors are all locations where you’ll find the most creative use of tile in traditional remodeling plans. Decorative tiles find their way into more rooms in the house, including:
- Entryway, foyers
- Fireplace surrounds
- Home offices
- Family rooms
- Laundry rooms, mud rooms
- Children’s rooms
- Craft/hobby rooms
Tile design ideas don’t limit the use of tile to just the floors in these locations. Wall murals, walls as design elements and even ceiling installations are blended into an overall décor.
Tile Design Trends for 2018
Popular trends in decorative tile selection in bathrooms and kitchens are spilling over into the rest of the house, too. The most popular of the expanding uses include:
- Geometric Tiles – offering basic shapes like squares and rectangles that are mixed or matched to form a traditional-look. Often called “subway” tile.
- Mirror Tiles – these bright tiles reflect light and bring interesting patterns into an area with direct sunlight or creative lighting. Popular among tile design concepts for mirror tiles is using them as a background for open shelving units.
- Bright Colors – there’s a trend toward more bright color combinations in remodeling plans as people express themselves through their décor.
- Unique Patterns – a herringbone weave patterns on a floor provides contrast to traditional paint and adds interest to a room or hallway.
- Metallic Tiles – prove the look of metal with the versatility of tile. These tiles compliment an industrial or ultra-modern look.
- Hand-painted Tiles – these provide a simple, elegant way to create a unique display.
- Natural Stone, Brick – with the ability to create a brick or stone wall without the weight or work, these decorative tiles offer an excellent way to recreate a farmhouse or historic period kitchen, family room or den.
- Wood-look Tiles – trying to create a room with reclaimed barn wood floors without a source of real barn wood? Wood-look tiles are a reasonable choice. These popular options make many tile designs possible, especially in areas where the use of real wood or laminates isn’t a viable option.
Explore Unusual Decorative Tiles
Trends in home design swing from traditional, conservative elements to more exciting, dynamic and unusual offerings. From brightly colored tile on stairways to custom mosaic art work created on the floor or wall, almost anything goes. Options to fit truly unusual tile design ideas include:
- Animal Skin Imitation Tile – to complete a jungle-themed decorating project there are tiles that look like snake or crocodile skin. While these unusual selections were in more demand several years ago, they are still available for special projects.
- Fabric-look Tiles – tiles that look like fabrics – lace, wallpaper or carpet – can create eye-catching displays on walls and floors. A wall that looks like it’s covered with canvas, or a floor that appears to be accessorized with a custom area rug provide reflect style and creativity.
- Crystals – wall tiles incorporating real crystals literally reflect an unique style and add energy to any room.
Perhaps the most creative tile design ideas incorporate mosaic designs or art work into a tile installation. Using an assortment of shapes, colors and sizes, a craftsman can “paint” a picture and install it on any wall or within any floor layout.
Benefit from Professional Service
For creative tile design ideas and the latest trends, contact Molony Tile, a source for unique, durable and elegant tile solutions in Madison WI and greater Dane county including Middleton, Waunakee, Verona, Fitchburg, McFarland, Oregon, Stoughton, Cottage Grove and Sun Prairie.
Call or email Molony Tile, 608-268-8453 for professional tile design ideas, complete installation services and an extensive inventory of decorative tiles for your home in Madison WI.